On his return from South Africa, Gandhiji’s first Ashram in India was established in the Kochrab area of Ahmedabad on 25 May 1915. The Ashram was then shifted to a piece of open land on the banks of the river Sabarmati to do some experiments in farming, animal husbandry, cow breeding, Khadi and related constructive activities. A Gaushala was set up for milk supply for the inmates of the Ashram.
After independence, six trusts were formed from the Gandhi Ashram. Sabarmati Ashram Gaushala Trust was one among these Trusts which was registered in 1952 as Public Charitable Trust under Bombay Public Trust Act, 1950. In 1973, the Trustees handed over the Trust to NDDB for professional management. A Semen station was established at Ahmedabad to produce liquid semen in the year 1974-75. This was shifted to Bidaj in Kheda district in 1976-77 and frozen semen production from different breeds of cattle and buffaloes commenced. Since then the organization has successfully engaged in production and supply of superior quality frozen semen, frozen embryos, high pedigreed bull calves and certified fodder seeds for the last four decades which has benefited millions of farmers throughout country.